Letter: Would prohibition on president leaving D.C. area code satisfy you?

Priscilla Tulkoff, Vero Beach

Letter: Would prohibition on president leaving D.C. area code satisfy you?

Ed Rogers' April 17 letter continues criticizing Malia Obama's school trip to Mexico, insisting the school sent Malia and classmates to an unsafe destination (resulting in an abusive use of Secret Service personnel).

Are there no safe Mexican cities and resorts? Don't cruise lines and tour companies continue going there? Surely the destination-locale was vetted by parents, school, Secret Service.

Could there have been a better destination? Yes, maybe a U.S. historical site, but the Secret Service would still accompany Obama's children where they go.

Rogers' new complaint is President Barack Obama's 2011 Christmas trip to Hawaii, his birthplace. Cost? $4 million, "while we are being told to conserve energy and what cars to buy," bleats Rogers.

Obama never told citizens "what car to buy" (nor is he going to enact a law that we must eat broccoli).

Rogers ignores reasons the Hawaiian trip was costly:

First, Obama stayed in Washington past his scheduled departure to Hawaii in effort to get Congress to pass payroll tax cuts and unemployment extensions. Not knowing how long this would take — the family went on ahead.

Second, the Hawaii trip wasn't just for vacation. It coincided with the president hosting the Asian-Pacific Summit meeting with Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper. The two also also discussed the Keystone XL pipeline (which I support).

The Obamas funded their personal accommodations. If Rogers feels presidents should be prohibited from traveling outside Washington, D.C., when conducting official business with world leaders and organizations, and if he wishes to prohibit presidents vacationing in any of their personal home states, then he should direct his next letter to his representatives in Congress to enact said law.

Feel free to vent about the General Services Administration expenditures debacle, but refrain from blaming Obama. The GSA has been out of control for decades.

• Discuss

Related Topics

Comments » 43

BR writes:

I don't know the answer to this. But I would be curious as to know how many Christmas vacations Obama took to Hawaii prior to being POTUS. In other words when he had to foot the bill himself.

Averageamerican writes:

I say we auction off airforce one (and two) to help cover these massive deficits and let O vacation wherever he wishes. He and the secret service can all use Chevy volts. My apologies to the secret service, must be hard to pick up chicks in the volt.

blatherskeit writes:

I say let him take all the vacations he wants. The less time he spends working, the less things Romney will have to fix.

Tiz writes:

Since you asked, this particular president being prohibited from entering the D.C. area code would satisfy me.

sugarwar97 writes:

in response to blatherskeit:

You ARE kidding, right?

PokerGrumpy writes:

in response to Tiz:

This is just another case where someone gave my response before I had a chance to give it myself. I have to start reading earlier.

RonnieD writes:

For all of you Reflubs, this President hasn't taken anymore "vacations" than any other President before him. In fact, he's taken less. And to those that think that a President doesn't work while on vacation, which includes Camp David, are still living under a rock.

anhingawildlife#391838 writes:

Obama has in fact taken far more vacations and spent ridiculous amounts of money on lavish accomodation for which he often did NOT pick up the tab (ie the entire Taj Mahal Hotel in India) but the real problem is liberals attacked Bush when all he did was go to Texas and cut thorn bush at his ranch, where he had an entire wing where he could work while he was there. NOW, oh, NOW the Exalted One is being attacked for lavish vacations so they are talking out the other side opf their mouths, at which they are expert.

redbird writes:

in response to RonnieD:

"And nobody said that you can't criticize the President or anyone else. Just next time use "real" facts to backup your claims or complaints."
"For all of you Reflubs, this President hasn't taken anymore "vacations" than any other President before him."
I think your comment was reasonable, except for the Reflubs part, but I would like to see some "real facts" regarding your comment about not taking any more vacations than any other President before him. Odd that I see so many repudiations here of concocted facts with more concocted facts.

redbird writes:

in response to BruceEdwards:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

Gee BruceEdwards, I find it odd that you did not post the rest of the comment you cut from Wikipedia. Just an oversight I assume. Let me help you set the record straight.
The cost of the Governor's security detail for out-of-state trips increased from $63,874 in fiscal year 2005 to a cost of $103,365 in the first 11 months of fiscal year 2006. A Romney spokesman noted that Romney did not accept a salary while he was Governor and that he paid for his personal and political travel, while the superintendent of the State Police pointed out that the Governor never requested the security and that the security detail followed the Governor on all trips.
You can thank me later.

mrstalky writes:

in response to blatherskeit:

What? You do realize that nothing will be different with Romney don't you? Don't be a fool.

SeniorSadie_68 (Inactive) writes:

I'm not sure whether there is something in the water, or something in the gene pool, that causes people to write such letters!

Posting such childish thoughts immediately brand the author as a nitwit, and with good reason! The author has proven they are not about the real world, but only about what they perceive to be real.

Never the two shall meet!

My gripe is that we allow such people, who have shown they have lost their grip on reality, to vote!

OBTW - people of the losing party should never have control over the president's travel plans! When your candidate loses, you are on the sidelines. Period!

redbird writes:

I must agree with HarryPitts, this is more than foolish, but SeniorSadie_68 is a glowing example of the mindless elite.

redbird writes:

in response to dante_mephistopheles:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

"Just realize that extremist right wing republicans are indoctrinated to hate anything a democrat does."
From a "fairminded" extremist left Democrat.

redbird writes:

in response to BruceEdwards:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

"In 2006, his last year as governor, Romney spent all or part of 212 days out of state, laying the foundation for his anticipated presidential campaign"
This was cut from wikipedia, any similarity to your comment is probably accidental. I regret any assumption that your comment reflected any reference to costs of any trips taken by any President, but it is evident that others see it differently. Personnally, any relief from the pressures of that job are well deserved.

idontknowaboutpeople writes:

in response to FredGSannford:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

I just love your comment. And I agree.

bosoxfan1955 (Inactive) writes:

liferguy writes:

I cannot speak for the letter writer. I would expect that the President would lead by example. He has tried to make great political hay, by saying that we have to sacrifice and do without, to turn the economy. In turn the President should show sacrifice and do without. I don't care how stressful his job is, every man and woman who is trying to raise a family and make sure their family needs are met, have as much stress as the President. When he does take a vacation scale back like every other American has had to do. If it is a working vacation leave Mom and the kids home. The average American can't drag the family along on a working vacation. Lead by example, nothing more, nothing less.

liferguy writes:

Big Whoop! He has not sacrificed anything. Raising taxes on the rich is no sacrifice, as most taxes will be written off in exemptions. A leader leads by example. This President does not. So, give me a break!

GC2B writes:

in response to liferguy:

You can't actually believe that regular people have the same stress level as the President of the United States of America. Delusions of granduer...

To your larger point - yes, I'd like to see him show some leadership on these issues. Perhaps he could invest in a company that builds solar panels?

redbird writes:

in response to dante_mephistopheles:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

I do recall many of our conversations and recall that on most subjects we see things similarly. I feel that our situation as far as entitlements is concerned is dire to put it mildly. The Republicans are less than realistic if they think that by reducing taxes on the "Job creators" they can boost the economy enough to increase tax revenue and make up the impending shortfalls. By the same token the Democrats continue to promise the world to any group that represents enough votes to sway the outcome of the election. It seems any thinking person would have to realize that it will simply have to take a combination of tax increases and some service cuts, or at least efficiencies, in order to get through this. The term "shared sacrifice" comes to mind. Only problem is the electorate wants and wants but no one is willing to partake in the scarifice part. Those with the means to contribute should contribute more, but all should contribute some. In reality, those with money will continue to accumulate wealth and those with no money will continue to be poor and not much the government does will change that. I am reminded of Henry Ford who, dispite various character flaws, knew that his employees must make enough money to be able to puchase the cars they assembled.

redbird writes:

in response to Dr_Faustus:

Enough!

MichaelGoodfellow writes:

in response to redbird:

From a "fairminded" extremist left Democrat.

Watch out, redbird, you might strike a nerve and cause a hissy-fit.

MichaelGoodfellow writes:

in response to liferguy:

Agreed. The nation was sold a bill of goods by the left and we're really no better off under President Obama than we were under President Bush, despite all the contrary claims the left regurgitates.

Conservative_Voice writes:

in response to redbird:

Enough!

Do not feed the trolls.

sircharles40 writes:

Want the president to stop spending so much on vacations? Get a single man(or woman) into office.

BR writes:

in response to Dr_Faustus:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

I don't mind the time on vacation as much as I do the cost of the vacation due to it's location. I think that we all agree that the president is never "off duty", and works while on vacation. Taking several family vacations to Hawaii seem a little extreme to me as far as the cost associated.

SeniorSadie_68 (Inactive) writes:

in response to sircharles40:

Like Elliot Spitzer????

SeniorSadie_68 (Inactive) writes:

in response to sircharles40:

Hef?

Hef is single again, and he's not much older than Reagan was! Of course the "Girls next door" can move into the Lincoln bedroom.

sircharles40 writes:

in response to SeniorSadie_68:

Like Elliot Spitzer????

I take it you have a problem with someone supporting small commerce in this country.

MichaelGoodfellow writes:

in response to viggy675:

Agreed.
The continuous arrogance shown by Faustus and dante completely negates anything they have to write. The two of them, if it is two people, have such issues with overbearance that I wonder how they deal with themselves.

Expressing such levels of hubris will only do them severe psychological harm. Because they are their own biggest fans so they think they can treat everyone else with condescension until others adequately kiss up to them.

liferguy writes:

in response to dante_mephistopheles:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

Leaders lead by example. This President does not. If you tell people to make sacrifices, you do the same. You do not ask those under you to do something you are not willing to do. He tells you to do it, but he is not willing to do it. He may have been a good college professor, but he is a lousy leader. And bye the bye, it has nothing to do with taxes. NOW do YOU get it?

cjptat123 writes:

in response to dante_mephistopheles:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

Obama DID NOT ask Congress to raise taxes on himself. According to his latest income tax filings he made just under the $1,000,000 mark that he wants taxes raised. If you have a problem with what that means "his taxes would not be raised". I have learned not to believe almost anything he says but look at what he does. And for your information I am not a right wing Republican but 53 years registered Dem. OMG...(Obama must go).

simpleton142 writes:

in response to dante_mephistopheles:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

I can't wait until the fundies figure out that if Romney gets elected how much that will benefit the Mormon church. Oh, the pearl clutching that will occur then. Until then, they will complain about the number of sheets of toilet paper the Obama family uses.

simpleton142 writes:

in response to BR:

Isn't Hawaii one of our 50 United States of America? So the President, who was born there (Lord here come the birthers) can't vacation in one of the member states of our union? Got any other states the President shouldn't visit?

BR writes:

in response to simpleton142:

As I said.....going to Hawaii seems extreme due to the COST. And according to Obama it is one of the "57" States.

gopers writes:

republicans - their guy breaks the bank and all they can do is loath the other guy over a vacation. isn't it wonderful how repubicans hve such selectably short memories.

loafer writes:

Do you people really think it costs THAT much more for the prez to vaca in Hawaii than anywhere else?

CUPCAKE2012 writes:

I still do not understand why the haters of the USA and it's government do not move to another country where they wil be happy. Simple.

rocknreel writes:

Best Solution - send him back to Chicago in January 2013 and he can stay there

Grapefruit1 writes:

I'd rather see Obama prohibited from leaving a jail cell where he belongs. He is steadily trashing the Constitution and making this country the laughing stock of the world.

The_Emperor writes:

in response to blatherskeit:

Tru dat!

marty727#289760 writes:

SCORECARD TO DATE:
OBAMA-COUNTRY FIXES = 0
OBAMA-BLAME BUSH = 1,224,454,624,575

And by the way, everything under Bush was fine till last 2 years when the Dems took over Congress, that's when the downhill slide began!

Features